An amazing adventure in the wild ancient forest
The Valley of the Ancients
THE SKYSCRAPERS - STYX TOLKIEN GROVE - FLORENTINE - MT FIELD - RUSSELL FALLS - SOUTHWEST NATIONAL PARK
Hidden valleys surrounded by craggy mountains, waterfalls, moorlands - the oldest, gnarliest, and tallest forest groves, on the very edge of the vast Tasmanian Wilderness Southwest
Please be aware that we will need to work around unexpected road and trail closures following the extensive wildfire season of early 2019. Your understanding is appreciated!
Send us your photos after the Expedition and we'll include them here!
Things to do:
Based on your interests, we’ll work together to make a custom itinerary that could include:
- Meet the Giant Trees of the Styx Valley, home to many of the largest and oldest of the Giant Gum Trees
- Travel to the edge of the wild Tasmanian Southwest and view buttongrass moorlands and ancient rainforest trees
- Spot giant tree species from around the world: Redwoods, Sequoia, Cedar, and more
- Walk through the Giant Forest to the densely forested banks of the Styx River, named for the border of the Underworld
- Visit the famous Tolkien Track with its renowned Giant Trees: Gandalf’s Staff and Fangorn
- Marvel at the secret chamber of the Cave Tree
- Discover the spectacular subterranean river of the Junee Cave System
- Stop for a cuppa alongide of the mighty Tyenna River.
- Visit the famous treeferns and gum trees next to roaring Russell Falls
- View the skyscrapers, the tallest grove of flowering plants anywhere on Earth
- Meet the Twisted Sister, a gnarled and ancient gum tree unlike no other
$585 for full-day expedition (2 people)
$45 for each additional person (vehicle capacity 5 passengers + 1 driver)
All admission prices included
Includes gourmet picnic, snacks, fresh fruit, and hot drinks in the forest
Opportunity for longer or shorter walks, or minimal-walking car-touring
Unparalleled opportunity to see some of Earth's finest forests
Carbon Offset Travel
Our vehicle CO2 emissions are offset by Carbon Social forest regeneration projects
Useful information including cancellation policy, equipment list, and more, can be found at the Trip Info page.
Contact us regarding:
Educational excperiences available for all ages. Please contact us directly to arrange curriculum, timing, and transport.